Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Factor 001
















I was all set to slag off this new F1 uber bike for the mega rich until I read the cozy beehive discussion that talks you through the power analysis system at the crank, which is the only bit of true innovation I can find on this bike. But seeing as it's 22,000 quid I might as well slag it all the same:
  • Most of the design ideas that might look novel (except for a slight twist on the cranks) have been done before. The wheels are stolen from a 15 year old Mike Burrows design, The fork assembly is the same as a Look track bike, the discs look like my 10 year old Hope Minis, the dropped seatstay could be from all manner of TT / Tri bikes and the integrated DI2 cabling (couldn't they do wireless?) is also not new any more.
  • It doesn't even hit the UCI weight limit. Given we're talking a UCI illegal bike you'd have thought they'd want to break this rule also.
  • 22,000 is a lot of money for a bike you can't race on. Though granted those who can afford it are unlikely to.
  • I think it's plain fugly.
  • Looks to me like they fitted it with clinchers...
This probably all says something about how good a designer Mike Burrows was. But Lewis Hamilton is meant to be getting one so no doubt it'll sell to a few rich boy petrol heads who know nothing about Lotus superbikes...

http://www.factor001.com/

6 comments :

  1. Looks like a big, cynical marketing exercise and an attempt to get a bit more recognition for the carbon producer. And given the article you're referencing is from August, not a very successful one either. If I wanted to be kinder, I could suggest that they were looking at expanding their business into other carbon areas, crossing over the carbon expertise from a pretty tolerance intense industry. If they really wanted to impress in both the bike and F1 community, they'd not only be talking about design cross-overs but also things like aerodynamics - the latest of which I think is all about designing an aero bike including the rider so bike+rider make the best aero, not just the bike on it's own. It's all a bit ho-hum if you ask me. If they sell double figures in 12 months,I'll eat my chapeau.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And another thing. That stand looks way too bulky. I'd have prefered one of the "under the chainstay" types like I had as a kit. Probably ligher too. Though why anyone would need instructions on fitting is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's back in the press because it is now on sale in Harrods. I'm pretty sure that must be the best place to tap into staff expertise. Heck, I bet their workshop must be awesome- truffle oil on the chain anyone? Agree that I'd expect more from the F1 community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. Misread that as Halford. Nearly spat tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And why has nobody mentioned those heinous brake hoods. Brian Palmer at thewashingmachinepost suggests that they might contain the pots for the hydraulic brakes but no degree of function will make them any less ugly. Not that the rest of it is any better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha- The frightening thing is that even Halfrauds probably know more about bikes than 'Arrods.

    ReplyDelete