Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pile of Boxes
















I was doing some research the other day on the James Taylor facade of SANAA's rather delectably clad New York New Museum of Contemporary Art. This led me to a bloomberg review that criticised the spaces for being too much of "a deep freeze for art". I haven't visited the gallery but to me this must be one of the more imaginative museums of recent years. I love the concept of a shifting pile boxes that provide clerestory natural light as a result of the shifts, and which give the gallery its very unique form. The fact the museum acheives formal originality while retaining simple white box gallery spaces that don't scream 'watch out for the Architect' is in my mind to be commended. Surely the world doesn't need any more Zaha horror shows. I look forward to a trip to NYC to judge for myself.

Photo stolen from archidose.

No comments :

Post a Comment