Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Hill


















In just over a week's time, I'll be back in Edinburgh for the first time since leaving back in December '07. As a bit of a contrast to my last post on the view from a burnt tree in Kowloon, I thought I'd dig up some old photos from another city with a pretty solid hill (OK, it's a volcano) in the middle. Granted I should be using the Peak to compare with Arthur's Seat, but a hill above buildings is pretty much where the similarities with Hong Kong end. Looking at these old photos again, I'm struck by not just the beauty, but how clear the air (and how freaking cold) it looks! It also reminds me of an Irish comedian I saw at the Festival:

"Edinburgh's an amazing place, but I've been trying to work out where all the poor people are. THEY'RE BEHIND THE HILL"

No such luck in Hong Kong- the South Side isn't far off the Peak in real estate prices. A parking space in Stanley should be worth more than a 4 bed in Niddrie. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to going back, even if the prospect of lugging furniture in and out of sheds / safe stores is not so appealing as walking up volcanos.

No comments :

Post a Comment