Friday, December 27, 2013

Catenary Ski Jump

















My festive building related activities have primarily consisted of folding some stainless steel to make a scale Pompidou centre on Christmas Day. However, during our especially cultural Christmas Eve visit to the ballet, I did take time to look up and marvel at the concrete catenary structure in the roof of the TST Cultural Ski Jump Centre. It's a marvel primarily in so far as I've no idea why you'd put a windowless tile clad mass on possibly the best site in Hong Kong. But also because I'm not sure why you'd build what is quite a nice concrete double curvature structural ceiling grid that expresses some of the admittedly memorable form, then forget any sky lights. As much as I try, this is a hard building to love... Let's hope the new Cultural District does a little better.

No comments :

Post a Comment